Sunday, March 24, 2013

Throwback Thursday - David Eddings



First apologies for being late to post this week.

I remember, O! so long ago! when David Eddings released the first book in his Belgariad series, promising a new twist on the fantasy series. I devoured each book as soon as it was available in paperback, both of the Belgariad and the follow-on Malloreon series.

I loved the books, the deep twisting characterization and the well-crafted plot. But, I do have to admit, I did not see any significant difference in these series compared to the Shannara series by Brooks, for example.or Barbara Hambly's excellent books featuring Sun Wolf and Starhawk.

Interestingly, much more recently, my son, who is a Raymond Feist aficionado among others, read the two early Eddings series for the first time - he took them off my shelf when he had run out of his own. He confirmed my impressions - very good and well worth the read, but not revolutionary to the genre.

Did you read Eddings? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment